Drive Bender v2.5 and above comes with 2 different drivers.
- The original driver that has always shipped with Driver Bender (supports all version of Windows pre-Windows 10 / Server 2016) - Generation 5 driver.
- A new driver supplied (and signed) for Windows 10 and above (although it is also backwards compatible with previous versions of Windows) - Generation 6 driver.
By default, the Gen 5 drive is installed on all pre-Windows 10 / Server 2016 machines. This is because there are some features used by these OS's that are better supported by this generation of driver. The Gen 6 driver is used for Windows 10 and beyond.
It is possible to use the Gen 6 version on pre-Windows 10 / per-Server 2016 machines (and vice versa, although this is not recommended). To switch drivers (or explicitly determine which driver is installed), do the following.
- If Drive Bender is installed, uninstall and reboot.
- Open regedit, and head to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Division-M\Drive Bender" and add the value "Driver Version Override" and set it to either 5 or 6 (depending on your desired version).
- Reinstall Drive Bender and reboot.
If you wish to revert to the default driver version, simply remove the registry, uninstall, reboot, then reinstall.
Article is closed for comments.